Sunday, July 26, 2020

Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 109

We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. For those he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, so that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined he also called; and those he called he also justified; and those he justified he also glorified.


The summer, even a Covid-19 summer, is a good time to pause and reflect and thank God for our blessings. The scriptures today remind us of the treasure we have found. It was something like a cache of gold buried in a field. Perhaps, more like Easter baskets which parents hide where their children must find them. If we think we found them, we should remember they were hid in plain sight.  
Blessed is the word for it. I am blessed. There are many "places" where one's spiritual life might begin. They might be the awareness of sin and guilt, or sorrow and grief, or amazed wonder, or grateful relief. In all of these circumstances, we know that God has blessed us. 
I didn't earn it, or deserve it. I certainly need it. I could not expect it, and yet I found it when it came to me. "Thank you, Lord." 
We're sometimes tempted to take on the troubles of other people. They might be suffering and very unhappy. They feel persecuted and unloved. They suspect some broad conspiracy to render them permanently miserable. It's unfair, and they persuade us of life's unfairness. 
We feel "survivor's guilt." Why does God bless me and not others? Maybe it's dumb luck, fate, or karma, and not the generosity of our good God. Hearing their stories might even arouse old memories of resentment and throw us back into the muck. 
We can take such an attitude but it does no good for the neighbor. They won't feel better for our buying into their resentment and suspicion. Nor can we argue them out of that state by telling them how God has blessed us. 
Sometimes it's best to let them be. 
If they are suffering real injustices we can join the protest. Incidents of racism in the United States have inspired protests around the world, and every Christian should support that just action in some way. If we are angry, the anger is fortified and directed by hope, that Christian virtue which expects the Kingdom of God. We participate with joy and confidence, without surrendering the peace in our hearts. 
Our presence and support might awaken the memory of gospel salvation and inspire the same gratitude in others. Justified by the mercy of  God, we are bound for glory. 
A Covid-19 summer is a good time to remember that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.