Thursday, January 7, 2021

Thursday after Epiphany


He said to them,
“Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing.” 
And all spoke highly of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. 


On this seventh day of the new year, the Church is still deep into the Christmas Season. I have not encountered in my reading an explanation of how the gospel readings were chosen for this week between Epiphany and the Baptism of the Lord. The first readings are taken from the First Letter of Saint John, which began on December 28 and continue until this Saturday; they follow an obvious progression. 
The selected gospel passages of this season come from all four gospels; they include stories of John the Baptist and Jesus feeding the crowds. They are all wonderful, of course, but follow no particular pattern. 
Today's gospel describes Jesus's first sermon in his hometown of Nazareth and the astonishment of his neighbors, family, and friends. At first, Saint Luke says, "all spoke highly of him." And that's where today's story ends; tomorrow we'll hear of what happened next. 
In Luke's account, Jesus has not yet demonstrated any remarkable authority. He has not healed the sick, raised the dead, fed a crowd, or walked on water. He will, after being driven out of Nazareth, heal a man with an unclean spirit in Capernaum; but that comes later. So far, he's done nothing so far as the crowd knows, but read a text from Isaiah. 
One Sunday morning a few years ago, as a guest concelebrant, I read a three-sentence passage from the Gospel of Saint John, and then resumed my seat as the pastor gave the homily. As I stepped away from the ambo I thought, "You really nailed that passage!" 
The pastor began, "How do you follow a reading like that! Wow!"
I was flattered. 
Saint Luke describes a moment of far more intense drama as Jesus, finishing the reading, rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant and sat down. 
There was something mysterious, beautiful, holy, frightening, and astonishing about his manner, his voice, and his presence. Luke says, "the eyes of all in the synagogue looked intently at him."
Hearing that, we should recall Hebrews 12:1-2, and many similar passages, 
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith.
For the sake of the joy that lay before him he endured the cross, despising its shame, and has taken his seat at the right of the throne of God.

As we hear of Jesus taking his seat in the synagogue of Nazareth, we can imagine him "seated at the right of the throne of God." Because he is "Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end,” his first words in Nazareth send us directly to the Book of Revelation and his apotheosis in heaven. 

We have heard Jesus announce a year of favor from the Lord. Theologically, year represents the unending Kingdom of God breaking upon us. But right now, we'd like to see a year without Covid 19, and a new harmony among the leaders of the United States and the world. With the worsening ecological crisis, we cannot afford the dispute, suspicions, rising tension, and war. As billions of people are distressed by a superheated planet, we must acknowledge the Savior who shows us which sacrifices to make. 


Concerning yesterday's incidents in Washington, DC: I lived with a liar for several months. He was a talented, energetic man with many friends and held a position of trust. It took me a while to realize that he could not tell the truth although I have never discovered the foundation of his lies. He might be a pedophile. In any case I saw the damage he caused and I suffered with many people the hurt long after he had left. 

That experience teaches me compassion for those who believed and trusted Donald Trump. Because of my experience, I recognized him as a man incapable of telling the truth and profoundly untrustworthy long before he ran for president. I grieve for those who believed he could do God's work of suppressing abortion. I grieve for those who believe his abuse of the Office of President might yield blessings. 

Certainly, his Republican colleagues in Congress should have known better and should have convicted him when he was impeached. They have much to answer for.  

Finally, I understand that only the Blood of Jesus Christ can atone for the damage Mr. Trump has done to our nation and our standing in the world. I hope that millions of Christians, and especially Church-attending Catholics, will participate with prayer and sacrifice in this sacred project of restoring integrity to a broken-hearted, deeply troubled nation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.