Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Tuesday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time


God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love you have demonstrated for his name by having served and continuing to serve the holy ones. We earnestly desire each of you to demonstrate the same eagerness for the fulfillment of hope until the end...


I think of the Church -- whether it be your local parish, my friary, or the universal congregation -- as a drum rotary rock tumbler. You find some pretty stones in a nearby creek and put them in this tumbler, adding sand and water; and then turn it on and let it tumble. Come back in a month or two, open it up and discover how much smoother and prettier your stones are, if they haven't disintegrated entirely.
Belonging to, and participating in the life of a community, can be like that. It can be endlessly dark, confusing, and uncomfortable. All your rough edges will be discovered, remarked upon, and smoothed away. If you stay in the Church despite everyone's advice that you should take care of "Number One, Yourself," you will emerge as the same person, but so much nicer. You might even remember the ordeal with fondness.
Given that rather dour homage to community life, I appreciate the reassuring word of Hebrews: "God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love you have demonstrated...." Your reward will come; it's on the way!

The same master who says to his slaves, "Serve my meal now; you can eat later!" also wraps an apron around his waist and waits on them.

It is good to remember that God owes me nothing even as I ponder God's gracious mercy. If the Lord comes down to discipline and punish as he did the city of Babel with its pretentious tower, he also descends to live among us; and, descending ever lower, to die with us and for us.
In prayer we humble ourselves, remembering the sins which render us unworthy to be -- much less pray -- in God's sight. Finishing our prayer we rise up and go forth confident of the Lord's backing as we tend to our personal needs and go the extra mile for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.