Friday, July 30, 2021

Optional Memorial of Saint Peter Chrysologus, bishop and doctor of the Church

Lectionary: 405

“These, therefore, are the festivals of the LORD on which you shall proclaim a sacred assembly, and offer as an oblation to the LORD burnt offerings and cereal offerings, sacrifices and libations, as prescribed for each day.”


As I read Walter Brueggemann's study of Deuteronomy, what most impressed me were Moses' precise instruction for the three sacred festivals: Pesach (Passover), Shavuot (Weeks or Pentecost), and Sukkot (Tabernacles, Tents or Booths). They are echoed in today's reading from Leviticus. 
 
Observing the feasts was a sacred duty; they entailed year-round planning. Especially, the tithe of the harvest was stored to be shared with everyone -- family, friends, servants, neighbors, and resident aliens. They didn't tithe their money since theirs was a "cashless" society; nor was the tithe for the support of the temple. That institution would eventually be built and maintained by the government. 

So long as they observed these holy seasons with the free spirit that any holiday should have, the Lord would provide prosperity, security, and fertility for the fields, livestock, and women. They could invite everyone to join them since there's plenty more where that came from. No one can outdo the LORD in generosity. 

Devout Jews practiced the easy generosity of those festivals just as Christians honor Christmas -- all year round. As he travelled the dusty road to Jerusalem, Jesus and his disciples relied on that spirit.  In the  thirteenth century, Saint Francis could abandon his privileged family and wealthy patrimony with the same assurance. 

That confidence in God still supports the Church today. I sometimes hear cynical remarks from the unchurched, that religion "is all about the money." And indeed the lifestyle of some televangelists and popular preachers arouses suspicion even among the elect. But the Holy Spirit remains with the Church and if some shysters exploit our generosity we know the Lord will apply an appropriate remedy when the time comes.

I lived alone as one of three Catholic pastors in a small Louisiana city. I often presided at weekday and Sunday masses in all three churches. Occasionally, I sought a restaurant meal on a quiet weekend evening. After a few years, whenever I went out, I found that someone had picked up the tab for my dinner. It was sometimes the owner and sometimes a known friend. Most often the waiter told me the meal was paid for and I didn't know who. I was also provided with free haircuts, dental and doctor's appointments, and ordinary auto maintenance. I neither asked for nor expected these privileges; they were inspired by the ordinary piety of good people. I hope I was worthy of their kindness. 

Our faith, the Scriptures, and the LORD remind us of the true "economy" which is giving and receiving, not taking and making. We give as we are able; we receive with gratitude. We do not presume to take from others what we suppose they owe us; nor do we make others satisfy our financial, physical, or emotional needs. We live by faith and we know there is plenty more where that came from. Because God cannot be outdone in generosity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.