Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Tuesday of the Seventeenth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 402

The tent, which was called the meeting tent,
Moses used to pitch at some distance away, outside the campAnyone who wished to consult the LORD would go to this meeting tent outside the camp.


The phrase "outside the camp" should strike a familiar chord in the minds of Christians as we study the Book of Exodus and the story of the escaped Hebrews in the Sinai peninsula. The author of the Letter to the Hebrews urged us, 
"Let us then go to him outside the camp, bearing the reproach that he bore. For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the one that is to come." 

The Hebrews had no lasting city in the wilderness as the Lord delayed their entrance to the Promised Land. But they had the usual problems of families, friends, and neighbors; and there were times when they wanted to consult the LORD about these matters. 

I have been concerned lately about my own preoccupation with the "news" and the twenty-four hour news cycle. I really don't need all that much news nor do I believe I must or should keep up with it. The world is a sad place but my anxiety isn't helping. 

We're called to go outside the camp to meet the Lord and pray with others and in solitude for deliverance. 

As I understand now, for the first time in history, most human beings live in major cities. Rural culture with its high valuation of family, independence, and hard work will not disappear but it will not be dominant much longer. To survive people will need maximum flexibility, mobility, and scrappiness. They'll struggle to stay in touch with one another; maintaining their marriage covenants is already an enormous challenge. 

We must go outside the camp frequently to consult with the Lord and ask, "What do you want of me today? Here I am!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.