Monday, July 25, 2022

Feast of Saint James, Apostle

 Lectionary: 605

For we who live are constantly being given up to death for the sake of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may be manifested in our mortal flesh.

So death is at work in us, but life in you. Since, then, we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, I believed, therefore I spoke, we too believe and therefore speak, knowing that the one who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and place us with you in his presence.


How many times, we might wonder, did the rumor spread throughout the early Church that Saint Paul had been arrested and executed only to see him appear again, preaching in a synagogue, city square, or marketplace? He was constantly being given up to death for the sake of Jesus, and yet there he is again believing and speaking

In today's reading the Apostle's citation -- "I believed, therefore I spoke." -- refers to Psalm 116, vs 10: 

I kept faith, even when I said,
“I am greatly afflicted!”
(and vs 11) I said in my alarm,
“All men are liars!”

We might echo that alarm when fact checkers despair of correcting all of a politician's lies, while entire nations spew alternate truth through their state-controlled media. Frightened, we declare of government and the media, "They're all liars!" And the ground seems to shift under our feet.  

This is why you stand up every Sunday and declare to the entire Church, "I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church." You stand on your conviction that there is truth, it is reliable, and it is known by the Church. This truth is the faith we profess, and it is the same as that of Saint James the Apostle, and of the alarmed psalmist before him. 

The fact that no one can define or summarize the gospel only confirms our conviction. No single word, sentence, or creed encapsulates our faith because it is God's word and not anyone's. We live within the Word of God, and are defined and judged by it. We bear the name of Christian because we belong to Christ. 

And even when James, John, and Paul are finally arrested, executed, and buried the Apostles remain with us in the Word, as we remain for our descendants. That truth might be denied by liars but it will not go away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.