Monday, March 20, 2023

Solemnity of Saint Joseph, spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary

 Lectionary: 543

And I will make his royal throne firm forever.
I will be a father to him,
and he shall be a son to me.
Your house and your kingdom shall endure forever before me;
your throne shall stand firm forever.


Amid our Lenten preparations for Easter we pause to remember Christmas, a mystery which also pervades our entire year. Today's feast, of course, anticipates the Annunciation on Saturday when the Angel Gabriel approaches "a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David." 

Within the mechanics of the scriptures and the fulfillment of prophecy, Joseph supplies the legitimacy "of the house of David" to Mary's child, the Messiah. Without descent from that Jewish king no one could save the Jewish race, much less the world. 

We often like to believe everything happens according to a plan, and the Gospels especially remind us that the entire life of Jesus, from his birth in Bethlehem, his sojourn in Egypt, to his death and resurrection in Jerusalem happen according to God's mysterious plan. It is a plan hidden since the beginning of the world, which was suggested in "many and sundry ways through the prophets," but now revealed. 

Saint Paul's explanation is especially relevant this morning: 

Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church, of which I am a minister in accordance with God’s stewardship given to me to bring to completion for you the word of God, the mystery hidden from ages and from generations past. But now it has been manifested to his holy ones, to whom God chose to make known the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; it is Christ in you, the hope for glory. Colossians 1:24-27

Like Saint Joseph, Saint Paul found his place in "the mystery hidden from ages and from generations past." Despite the brevity of his "hour upon the stage" as compared to the history of the world, he had a role -- to make known to the gentiles their place in God's plan -- and he played it proudly. 

The Lord invites every Christian to find their part in Salvation History and scripture gives us innumerable examples. I think of the little Hebrew slave child who told her mistress, 

“If only my master would see the prophet who is in Samaria! He would cure him of his leprosy.” 

We don't know her name or any more of her story, but she lives forever with us in 2 Kings 5, and we rediscover her whenever we check out Jesus's reference to Naaman the Syrian. 

No one should expect to be remembered very long by their friends or families despite the promises we make of everlasting remembrance during our funerals. But when the Lord places us within his plan of salvation we know we shall live, and be remembered, forever. We have only to find ourselves within the Gospel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.