Thursday, March 23, 2023

Thursday of the Fourth Week of Lent

 Lectionary: 247

If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is not true.
But there is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that the testimony he gives on my behalf is true.


Jesus offers his "letters of reference" in today's gospel, those "witnesses" who can testify to his authenticity as a prophet and messiah. 

The Second and Third Letters of Saint John, and Paul's Letter to Philemon were also letters certifying their bearers. They carried not only the signature of the writers, but also the sound of their voice as their choice of words and their cadence sounded like the trusted authors.

Jesus refers to three witnesses: John the Baptist, the "works that I do," and "the Father who sent me." Those who know the sender will know the one who is sent. Concerning his third reference, we will hear that voice in John 12:27-30. 

The crowd heard thunder though some thought "an angel spoke to him." Jesus and his faithful disciples hear the Voice of the Father assuring him, "I have glorified (my name) and will glorify it again!" 

When I first studied the Gospel of John, I was intellectually immersed in the skeptical rationalism of twentieth century culture. The sciences of that day demanded proofs and refused to believe any assertions that weren't founded on obvious assumptions like "a straight line is the shortest distance between two points." From there one aligned statements and conclusions that seemed logical and rational. These conclusions were tested in laboratory experiments and proven trustworthy. One should never take anyone's word for it. And if authorities should not be trusted, the least reliable were religious authorities! 

In that rationalist spirit, the news media purported to report only "the facts." The news was not confused with entertainment or editorial remarks, and the reporter's opinions never colored their reporting. Consumers of news in the "free world" were assured they were not hearing propaganda, like those unfortunates who lived behind the "iron curtain." 

In those days, as I read John's Gospel, Jesus's insistence on his authority seemed hard to take. Why did he never go halfway with his opponents and explain himself more clearly? I didn't understand when a biblical scholar insisted that the Lord's teaching was very reasonable, and his witnesses were credible. 

It's taken me a while to grow suspicious of scientific evidence and rational proofs and more reliant on authority. I've begun to see the hidden agenda of the most objective reporters. The louder they claim to speak only the truth the more suspicious they become. "Liberals" and "conservatives" are programmed to disagree with one another; and regard the public as wise, intelligent, and loyal followers, or as gullible dupes of their opponents.

Our Catholic faith, on the contrary, is built upon our willingness to trust worthy authorities and the God who speaks through them. When religious faith is violated, we pray for healing and reconciliation, and work to restore trust with a studied awareness of sin and potential abuse. Because we cannot turn anywhere else for spiritual direction, we do not dismiss the divine authority of our Church. We pray for them and remember worse times of opposition and persecution. 

Our faith in the Son of Man teaches us to believe in the Church of men and women, not as naïve children but as confident adults. Our leaders are sinners like us, and we are saints like them. Always we listen for the spirit of Jesus who teaches what to say and when to say it:

When they lead you away and hand you over, do not worry beforehand about what you are to say. But say whatever will be given to you at that hour. For it will not be you who are speaking but the holy Spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.