Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Wednesday of Holy Week

 Lectionary: 259

The Lord GOD is my help,
therefore I am not disgraced;
I have set my face like flint,
knowing that I shall not be put to shame.


Shame, as a means of controlling children, employees, and one's social inferiors, has been around a long time. I suppose even the higher primates like gorillas and bonobos use it to maintain their social systems. 

It can be used as a form of oppression. The shame of being stripped, bound, helpless, and mocked by acquaintances, strangers, and enemies can last many years; and sometimes ends in suicide. The scriptures deplore homosexual acts because they're often used to humiliate subjugated men. 

Crucifixion was an especially effective way for a conquering nation to control whole populations. The sight of a naked citizen, suspended in the plain sight of every passerby, pleading for rescue, dying of thirst and exposure, humiliated more than victims. Family, friends, and acquaintances, hearing their pleas as the victim lingered for days or weeks, too fearful even to speak of the horror, would not attempt to oust the foreign oppressors. They only hoped to be left alone. If there were more painful, more savage ways to kill a human being, few could be as effective as crucifixion for shaming the entire human race. 

When Jesus is crucified, he had much for which he might be ashamed; not the least was the betrayal of Judas, one of his inner circle. Also, the apostles might have followed as close as possible, despite their helplessness to prevent his arrest or to intervene afterward. But they fled into the obscurity of night. We admire them today for preserving the memory and admitting it honestly after his resurrection. 

Because it is a common experience, the Bible is very familiar with shame. The word appears 285 times in the Old and New Testaments. The Bible also offers a healing for shame, and that is faith in the One who rescues and champions his people. Our God promises vindication for our suffering and satisfaction for our sacrifices. This grace is there for individuals, families, churches, and nations:
The Lord GOD is my help,
therefore I am not disgraced;
I have set my face like flint,
knowing that I shall not be put to shame.

Because the Son of God has been vindicated in our eyes and, someday, before the entire skeptical world, we act boldly and courageously. Despite occasional setbacks, defeats, and humiliations, we believe all things work together for those who love God. Ventures that do not succeed, and expectations that have only disappointed may yet reap a harvest of twenty, fifty, or a hundredfold. Something good will come.  

There is only one Judge and He is merciful. And there is only one final assessment of our lives, and it will not come today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.