Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Wednesday of the Third Week of Easter

 Lectionary: 275

"I am the bread of life;
whoever comes to me will never hunger,
and whoever believes in me will never thirst.
But I told you that although you have seen me, you do not believe.

As Church we often tangle with this mystery. If only it might become a tango, something delightful, melodious, and beautiful! 

Catholics readily declare our belief in the Eucharist as the Body and Blood of the Lord. It's the Real Presence, and we genuflect or bow before the Most Blessed Sacrament as if it's God himself, which it is! 

And we want to share it with everyone! And we invite everyone! Did the Lord not say, "Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me?" 

But we can't share it with everyone. And why not? To put it in Jesus's words, "...although you have seen me, you do not believe."

Because, to put it in other words, neither we nor our guests can do anything on our own terms. We cannot be as superficially hospitable as we might want, in the vague hope they'll be so charmed by our invitation that they'll join us in the practice of our Roman Catholic faith. 

When we invite the world to share Communion with us, we and our guests must pay the price. It must be our "entire livelihood" even if If we can give no more than two copper coins. It may include a year of catechesis before First Communion, even for the Baptized. It also may include considerable research into their marriage, if one or the other party is divorced and remarried. 

It's complicated; it's difficult; it's time consuming; but these are the terms.

Religious faith is more than a feeling, opinion, or basic willingness. It requires a transformation of one's past, present, and future. It's a deep commitment, a matter of life and death; and it has cost many their lives. Twenty-centuries have seen men, women, and children martyred for the privilege of sharing the Eucharist. 

Jesus insists, "I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me." It wasn't easy for him either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.