Friday, January 5, 2024

Memorial of Saint John Neumann, Bishop

 Lectionary: 208

We know that we have passed from death to life
because we love our brothers.
Whoever does not love remains in death.


In today's first reading, Saint John answers a perennial question, an anxious query that troubles every sincere Christian in whatever form it takes, "Will I go to heaven? Am I saved? Will the Lord claim me as his own on the Day of Judgment?

Someone, pretending to be an authority, might scold us for asking. They might insist we're saved by faith alone and even to wonder about it is to doubt God's word. But anxiety will reply, "Perhaps I don't really believe. How do I know if I have faith?" 

Or the critic might say that we should not be concerned about such a question. We should give God praise in good times and in bad, whether we're in heaven or hell! Don't the scriptures say every knee will bow in the heavens, on the earth, and under the earth?

But still, I'd like to know what will happen when we have shuffled off this mortal coil. Saint John replies, "We know that we have passed from death to life because we love our brothers and sisters."

Doubts will persist of course. Human beings, unlike every other animal and all the plants, know there will be a future but do not know what will happen in the future. We're naturally anxious. But Saint John directs that anxiety back to life; we should be eager to love one another. 

As we love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength; and our neighbors as ourselves, we let go of worrying about our personal salvation -- "I'm just not that important!" -- and delight in the mystery of giving and receiving love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.