Monday, January 1, 2024

Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of God

The Octave Day of Christmas
Lectionary: 18

And Mary kept all these things,
reflecting on them in her heart.


On this feast of the God-Bearer, we find only one direct reference to Mary in today's readings. And that is almost a passing remark nestled inside the story about the shepherds and their amazement. She, Joseph, and the midwives had not seen or heard the angels singing; they were preoccupied with more immediate concerns. Nor had the baby. We can suppose they were as astonished by the shepherd's appearance as the shepherds were by the angels. 

But "Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart." 

If anyone is making a resolution for the new year, there's your nudge from God. Like Joseph after his amazing dream, Zechariah after his conversation with the Angel, and Simeon and Anna when they found the newborn Messiah in the temple: we must notice things that are happening to us, and how they fit in the history of salvation. Whether they are delightful or sorrowful, glorious or shameful, meritorious or sinful, they find their historic moment as we pause to ponder them. 

Reflecting on blessings received I might say with Elizabeth, "But who am I that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?" 

Reflecting on my sins, I might say, "I have done that which is typical of me." It fits; it belongs; I've done this before and regretted it. I ask God to forgive me as I remember how he forgave my ancestors for the same sins. 

At the end of the day, with our night prayer, we can say with Simeon and the praying Church, 

Now, Master, you may let your servant go
in peace, according to your word,
for my eyes have seen your salvation...

Saint Luke offers Mary to us as the Theotokos -- a Greek word meaning "God-bearer" -- and as the first witness, disciple, and evangelist. She hears the Angel's word; welcomes that word as it profoundly changes her life and impacts her body; and announces the Good News to Elizabeth. Our salvation would not be complete without her keeping all these things and reflecting on them in her heart. 

She takes your hand as you enter the new year, and she says, "Now come with me, and do as I do." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.