Monday, July 27, 2026

Monday of the Seventeenth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 401


All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables.
He spoke to them only in parables,
to fulfill what had been said through the prophet:
I will open my mouth in parables, I will an-nounce what has lain hidden from the foundation of the world.

Our faith comes to us through rituals; that is with familiar routines, gestures, oft-repeated phrases, songs, and stories. As they shape our imagination they also shape our experience. Two persons -- one who has grown up in a religious tradition while the other has not, recalling the same incident, describe very different experiences. One might have seen courage; and the other, cowardice. The Catholic who gazes upon a crucifix sees the Love of God for every human being. The other sees only horror and wonders, "Why does God permit such things to happen?" 

Both might hear Jeremiah's story of the loincloth. One might think the prophet was a fool to bury a brand-new item in the muck of a river; and then, some time later, dig it up and go strutting about town in nothing but the same rotten fabric. The other will remember the familiar image of Jesus crucified, wearing nothing more than a crown of thorns and a loincloth. 

There is a third party, however, Christian critics who have examined the Scriptures with the modern tool of critical analysis. They suppose that Roman soldiers would not have respected the modesty of their Jewish victims nor the scruples of Jewish citizens who witnessed his death. "There was certainly no loincloth!" they would sneer; and then ignore everything else that might be said about the Lord's passion and death. Being "modern" they judge by appearances and suppose our ancestors in the faith were primitive and stupid. 

Neither the critic nor the irreligious can grasp the meaning of what has "lain hidden from the foundation of the world;" much less appreciate the invitation and challenge of our faith. In John 6, we hear of critical disciples who scoffed at his command to eat his flesh and drink his blood; and then left him. All four gospels tell us the disciples fled from Jesus when he was arrested. Shocked and horrified that his predictions had finally come true, they could not bear what was happening.

But some turned back. Peter and John followed the mob who had arrested Jesus at a distance, and then entered the courtyard where he was tried. Many women stood at a distance watching and weeping as he was crucified. Mary, John, and Mary Magdalene stood with him on Calvary. And Ten clung together in the Upper Room, where Jesus found them on that Easter Sunday evening. 

Tomorrow we will hear the next verses from Saint Matthew's gospel. 
   "His disciples approached him and said,"Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field."

The faithful remain with the Lord. waiting with open minds and hearts, ready to hear explanations and understand hidden truths that have been unsuspected and unintelligible since the foundation of the world. They do not hesitate to ask the hard questions about suffering and evil, but are willing to admit their ignorance and be instructed. They might suffer much anxiety and persistent, nagging doubt during their patient waiting; they might complain as loudly as Job! 

But they remain. They are the faithful who will be redeemed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.