Do to others as you would have them do to you. For if you love those who love you,
what credit is that to you?
If you want something to change, change something!
It seems like perfectly ordinary sense; anyone can see how how the second clause -- "change something" -- responds to the first. But it's also rather unexpected, and someone might say, "I want change but why should I have to do it?
"Doesn't a wrong automatically generate a correction? Can't everybody see what's wrong and do something about it? Am I the only one who sees what's wrong?"
Yes, you might be the only one. Or, more importantly, you might be the one to whom this work detail has been assigned! Because you see the wrong, you must correct it. Nevermind what others see or think, or how they respond. How is their responsibility yours? Or yours, theirs? Quit lagging around!
But another response to your complaint might be, "The problem is in your mind. It's a projection of your brokenness and the world is not going to change in order to fix that! Deal with it yourself!"
The Lord's Golden Rule, "Do to others...." is an astonishing teaching, for it makes perfect sense and yet comes as a revelation. We might say with Bart Simpson, "Doh! Why didn't I think of that?"
Selfish people do to others as they think has been done to them. They take blessings for granted; they hardly notice them. And then resent challenges, difficulties, and disappointments, crying, "How dare you disappoint me?"
As my young friend said, "Built a bridge and get over yourself!" If you want something to change, change something.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.
Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.
I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.
You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.