Monday, October 5, 2026

Optional Memorial of Saint Faustina Kowalska, Virgin

 Lectionary: 461

I am amazed that you are so quickly forsaking
the one who called you by the grace of Christ
for a different gospel (not that there is another).
But there are some who are disturbing you
and wish to pervert the Gospel of Christ.

The Gospel fits into no one's philosophy, scheme, or plan. Jesus was neither a reformer, revolutionary, or rebel. He was neither democratic or republican, gay or straight, American or French. We can say of him with certainty that he was -- and is -- human, male, and Jewish; and that his birth occured at a certain time and place, as God planned it. That is, in the fullness of time.

To believe in Jesus is to accept him on his own terms, which also means that no one fully understands him. In fact no one can know any human being completely, entirely, and fully; that knowledge belongs to God alone. If anyone is utterly predictable -- as some people seem to be -- it's because they have become caricatures of something human. They are brands or Facebook images of people.

Saint Paul announced the Gospel to the Galatians, formed some of them into a church with leaders and responsibilities, and then moved on to preach the Good News to other cities. He was astonished to learn that other missionaries had followed to alter his teaching. They preferred a "Jesus" who fit easily into Pharisaic traditions, expectations, and interpretations. Their "Christ" was only a pious image who encouraged sincerity and stricter observance of the Mosaic Law. They perverted the Gospel of Christ.

With constant study, prayer, fasting, and sacrificial works of charity, we beg the Lord to lead us away from the world's distortions of the Gospel. That is precisely why he had to go away from us; only in his apparent absence could he send the Holy Spirit to guide us. But, like the wind, no one knows where the Spirit comes from or where it's taking us. 

Some may think they know and try to move ahead of the Church; others may insist that where we are, or where we were is, "Good enough. Let's just stay here." Ideologues like Marxists, racists, feminists, or gay activists may insist they see where the world must go -- or perish! And anyone who resists their program for progress is evil and should be destroyed! They are lost to salvation; we must remain with God and His people. 

Lately I am hearing disturbing reports about depopulation!  "Look what's happening in South Korea! Beyond a certain critical moment, no nation has ever reversed its downward trend! " Fifty years ago we were worried about Malthusian overpopulation; and "Something must be done to prevent it!" 
Excuse me for doubting both camps. 

"As for me and my house," we will let the Holy Spirit guide us by the Magisterium of the Church and our faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.