Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday of the Second Week of Easter


“It is I. Do not be afraid.”
The older I get the more I experience fear. I suppose it was always there but I didn’t recognize it. Or I felt up to the challenge. Or I didn’t realize how frail I am. I used to be fearless on ladders and scaffolding. So long as I had one strong hand holding something I was good. But I was hit by a truck while bicycling in 1993 and spent three weeks in a hospital bed and five months in therapy. I never hesitated to get back on the bike and hit the open road. But high places turn my legs to rubber. Go figure. Perhaps it's the experience of mortality that paralyzes me.
In any case I can understand the disciples fear when they saw Jesus walking on the water toward them. As John tells the story these fisherman had seen high wind and waves before. They were not afraid for that reason. If they made no progress in the storm that was frustrating but nothing unusual. But a man walking on the stormy water, appearing out of the gloom of night – that’s eerie and they were spooked. Who wouldn’t be?
And then he called them, “It is I. Do not be afraid.” With that assurance, their nerves were calmed.
It’s fascinating that they wanted to take him into the boat, but the boat immediately arrived at the shore to which they were heading. Jesus would not be taken any where. The Lord of the storm and the Lord of history belongs to no church, creed, theology or ideology. If he does such wonderful things that doesn’t mean we can bottle and sell him. Fidelity to Jesus means not knowing where he comes from or where he goes; it is following his spirit where it leads us and letting him rescue us in his own good time. It is setting aside our fear when he speaks to us.  
In the context of John 6, following the miracle of the loaves and preceding the discourse on the Bread of Life, perhaps we should expect to hear something next week which will rattle our nerves. On Monday the narrative continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.