Saturday, April 24, 2010

Saturday of the Third Week of Easter

“Master, to whom shall we go?”


I love these frank words of Simon Peter. We have come this far, we cannot turn back. And why would we turn back, you have the words of eternal life.

True, this is only the sixth chapter of John. Peter took up the following of Jesus in the first chapter, and Jesus was alone with two other people in the third and fourth chapters. Perhaps Peter has not given enough time to this consideration. But he has been initiated into Christ. The sixth chapter’s presentation of Jesus as the Bread of Life has confirmed him. Had it taken a year his commitment could be no more; had it been only a half-day, his life was changed forever. “We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God.”

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

Since the reintroduction of the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) to the Church, we understand the Eucharist is one of the sacraments of initiation. Through the Mass we become disciples of Christ. We remain in him and he remains in us.

We have only to continue our practice of the faith with daily prayer, weekly Mass attendance, participation in the life of the parish and the diocese, and attention to the Holy Spirit moving through our daily life.

Our commitment to Jesus Christ cannot be hidden. We are a light shining in darkness, a city on the hill. If the police were arresting people for being Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict me of the crime?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.