Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuesday of the Twenty-eighth Week in Ordinary Time


Spider web by the lake
For freedom Christ set us free;
so stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery.
It is I, Paul, who am telling you….

Arriving at the denouement of his letter to the Galatians, Saint Paul uses the strongest possible language to impress his insight into freedom on his Christian disciples. I’ve seen so much Hollywood propaganda about freedom, often costume drama about Egyptian slaves or Chinese monks, I’ve grown chary of thinking everyone in the world is as fascinated with freedom as Americans. I suspect most of the world’s people want food, shelter and security more than freedom. In fact, so do we!
But we make an idol of the word without examining what it means, or what it demands of us. Are we really sending soldiers into Afghanistan to protect our freedom? Or is it about the cost of opium, as one veteran  in the psych ward has suggested?
Considering freedom, I think of God’s freedom.

  • In pure generosity and without constraint, the Lord created the universe. He didn’t have to, but he wanted to.
  • In pure generosity and without constraint, God created the earth and all its creatures. He didn’t have to, but he wanted to.
  • In pure generosity and without constraint, God created the human being in “his own image and likeness.” He didn’t have to, but he wanted to.
  • In pure generosity and without constraint, God sent Jesus to redeem us from sin, although God owes us nothing. He didn’t have to, but he wanted to.
  • In pure generosity and without constraint, Jesus chose to die on a cross to save us from sin, which is far more than we could ask or expect or imagine. He didn’t have to, but he wanted to.
If you and I are created in God’s image, then we enjoy a similar freedom. I don’t have to care for others, I want to. I don’t have to make sacrifices, I choose to.
The child of abuse does not owe her parent respect or gratitude. If she chooses to give anything, it is out of the generosity of her heart, not duty. Her parents should have provided life and food and protection out of the generosity of their hearts, without thinking the sacrifice was an investment for the future.
God’s economy is “offer and receive.” It is not take and force. God offers goodness but he doesn’t force it on anyone. God receives love and gratitude and praise, but doesn’t take it from anyone.
Can I live in that freedom, without the fearful constraints of have to and must? Can I set aside every resentment about my debts and obligations and decide I really want to care for others as God cares for them? 
Can I move freely as Jesus did, not letting human expectations bind him to one place or one task, in simple obedience to the unpredictable gusts of the Holy Spirit? You’ll recall how the disciples tracked him down and said, “Lord, everyone is looking for you.” and he said to them, "Let us go on to the nearby villages that I may preach there also. For this purpose have I come." (Mark 1:36)

For freedom Christ set us free;
so stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery.
It is I,
Paul, who am telling you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.