Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wednesday of Holy Week


The Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him,
but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed.
It would be better for that man if he had never been born.


Everyone agrees that remorse, guilt and shame should be avoided at all costs. Nothing good comes of such feelings, or so we’re told. But the passion narratives accentuate the guilt of Jesus’ disciples and insist that we experience our own guilt. The evangelists reveal Judas’ betrayal of Jesus, Peter’s denial and the disciples’ cowardice. Saint Mark says one terrified follower fled naked from Gethsemane rather than be arrested with Jesus. Hearing these stories of the charter members of our church, we cannot suppose we would do any better. Each year, during Holy Week, we read two of the passion accounts and the congregation participates with “Crucify him” and “We have no king but Caesar!” Clearly, we’re not going to get through this week without facing our own complicity in the death of Jesus.


Avoiding the guilt of sin does not vindicate us. Rather, we must own it and turn to God for mercy. It is easy to make excuses for our sins and failings. But it is so much easier to admit, “I have sinned. I have done wrong.” Perhaps there were mitigating circumstances. “I was hungry, angry, lonely or tired. I was bored, impatient, or sick. I was misinformed.” So what? It doesn’t matter. Isn’t it easier to say, “I did wrong; I am sorry, please forgive me,” and then to accept forgiveness?


It might be helpful, in the cold light of day, after making atonement, to examine ones excuses and alibis. That reflection may help one to decide, “I will not allow myself to be so hungry, angry, lonely or tired. I will notice when I am bored, impatient or sick and take care not to act that way again.” Reflecting on one’s excuses can help change one’s lifestyle, but no explanation can provide the spiritual assurance of forgiveness.


But, you might say, “A man was killed! Jesus the Lord was crucified!” Yes, it is good to contemplate the enormity of sin, both mine and ours. It is good to realize we can live God’s way, ethically and morally, as the Hebrew prophets insisted. Dangerous people need not be executed; they can be incarcerated. The poor can receive medical care without bankrupting the economy. All children can be educated; the homeless can be given shelter; jobs can be provided for every willing worker. We can live peacefully with our enemies without weapons of mass destruction. We can do these things if we trust in God’s providence and apply courage, imagination and generosity to the problems. There is no excuse for our sins.


As we walk with Jesus to Calvary we feel the burden of our guilt. Welcome to the real world! And we follow in gratitude and sorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.