Friday, April 1, 2011

Friday of the third week of Lent



I will heal their defection, says the Lord,
I will love them freely;
for my wrath is turned away from them.
I will be like the dew for Israel:
he shall blossom like the lily;
He shall strike root like the
Lebanon cedar,
and put forth his shoots.

After this past weekend’s reflections on Jesus and the Samaritan Woman, we should not be surprised to hear such expressions of tenderness in the Book of the Prophet Hosea.
Growing up as I did in wake of World War II, in a country that boasts the most dangerous military on earth; I’ve had a hard time recognizing Peace as one of God’s names.
I know about Truth. That’s certainly an appropriate name for God. I am glad to hear of Love, though I might construe it as “tough love.” The Franciscan tradition will remind me of Beauty and Goodness. Eventually, even Prosperity takes its place among God’s names, though it is, like God’s Peace, not something the world can understand. Finally, I’ve come to understand Peace as God’s name, as I also welcome Healing.
Peace is that crystal promise that remains like a pendant fruit just beyond my reach. I have to wait first for its ripening, and then its fall into my lap. I have heard the invitation to peace so often among my friends, friars and family. Conflict is so rarely necessary, if ever. Peace and courtesy and hospitality walk together, and I have found both courtesy and welcome in so many places. Where I expected judgment I found gladness. That is not to be taken for granted.

Hosea warns his people not to accept alliances with Assyria. They will not protect you from Egypt! Assyria was a savage, empire building nation in his day; eager to make promises of peace and equally eager to exploit its subject peoples. In the end Israel fell to the Assyrians because, the prophets said, they preferred the friendship of Egypt to God. Caught between two world-conquering powers, Israel seemed to have little choice but to choose one or the other. But neither had Israel’s interests in mind. Only God could promise that, but they would not trust in God.
In our own time, living in a nation which is the overwhelming military power on earth, we Christians are sent to the United States to be a people who trust in God, love our enemies and study the ways of peace. 

Let him who is wise understand these things;
let him who is prudent know them.
Straight are the paths of the Lord,
in them the just walk,
but sinners stumble in them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.