Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4, 2011 – Independence Day


R. In you, my God, I place my trust.
You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High,
who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
Say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
R. 
In you, my God, I place my trust.

American money bears the inscription, “In God we trust.” Wikipedia has an interesting, brief  article on the motto, including the following:
…in 1970... the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled: "It is quite obvious that the national motto and the slogan on coinage and currency 'In God We Trust' has nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion. Its use is of patriotic or ceremonial character and bears no true resemblance to a governmental sponsorship of a religious exercise." The decision was cited in Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow, a 2004 case on the Pledge of Allegiance. In Lynch v. Donnelly (1984), the Supreme Court upheld the motto because it has "lost through rote repetition any significant religious content". So-called acts of "ceremonial deism" have supposedly lost their "history, character, and context".

That pretty well says it all! unless you happen to actually trust in God and wish your fellow citizens did too!
Trust is a cultivated virtue. It requires much attention and deliberate practice. Sometimes we lose trust in others and, if they happen to be dear to us, we struggle to regain it. Depending on how grave the injury, insult, disappointment and hurt were, that can take a very long time. It does not come automatically because we think it should; it is not inspired by demands like "Trust me!" or promises like "I'll never do it again." 
We cultivate our trust in God through prayer: private, communal and liturgical. Inevitably many of our expectations about God will be disappointed. If we expect prosperity, success, and a life without trauma because We are God's people; We are good people or We mean well we’re certainly going to meet some heartache. 
It is not impossible that a nation should trust in God, but the history of Israel shows how difficult it is. The writings of the Hebrew Prophet record the many betrayals of the nation and its people. But God is faithful and he continually raises up for himself a faithful people. As American Christians we pray on this Independence Day that the Lord will behold our  fidelity and forgive our nation its many sins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.