Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday of the Sixteenth week in Ordinary Time


My sister Peggy with husband Scott
and daughters Jennifer and Whitney

An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign,
but no sign will be given it
except the sign of Jonah the prophet.

Our way of life begins with faith in Jesus. We take him at his word and we find continual reassurance both in his word and in our lives.
There are a million reasons to doubt. Every day there are incidents which may be misread to disprove God’s goodness. Disappointments, insults, sickness and tragedy happen to us and our loved ones and strangers. It is not hard to create a narrative of cynicism and I suppose we’ve all done it on occasion: “Poor me, nothing ever comes out right for me.” Locked into these cynical narratives we can lose faith in God even as we go through the motions of religion.
Jesus’ opponents demand a sign from him if they would change their cynical beliefs, but he has already demonstrated integrity by his words and goodness by his deeds. Clearly, they will not believe in him no matter what he says or does. Their hearts are shut; their minds are closed.

This gospel challenges us to be prepared to hear Jesus’ word today and to see the signs of mercy. 
The conversation of Christians is full of such anecdotes and stories: first I see the beauty of a bird, and then I thank God for eyes that see beauty; first I get my hands dirty with work, then I thank God for my hands.
More importantly, our Church's liturgy gives us constant reassurance of God's authority. Embedded deeply in scripture -- especially the psalms, canticles and gospels -- the Mass, Sacraments and Liturgy of the Hours saturates our imagination and soaks into our hearts. No matter what befalls us outside of church, the Word of God calls us to rest in the heart of God. Though I walk through the Valley of Death, I fear no evil; for you are there with your rod and staff to give me comfort. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.