Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Holy Name of Jesus


A forty piece creche Brother Bob
found here at MSF

(Moses, hearing the voice of the Lord from the burning bush said to him) ‘Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?’ 


I chose this recommended passage from the Book of Exodus for the memorial of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, which is observed not in the Roman calendar but in our Franciscan calendar. I think it remarkable that it starts with Moses’ question, “Who am I…?”
It raises the question, “Can I know who I am without knowing God?” The scriptures tell us often, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.” The wise person certainly knows her own name because she knows the One who gave her the name.
Recall that a name is all about relationship. If there were no relationships no one would need a name. A name often describes the relationship: I have:
  • a formal relationship with: the state, described by Kenneth William Bartsch;  
  • another formal relationship with the Church, Fr. Ken Bartsch, OFM Conv; 
  • a less formal relationship with the Franciscans, Friar Ken; 
  • another relationship with the Veterans and VA staff, Father Ken;
  • another relationship with my own family, Kenny; and  
  • there are several nicknames which (ahem) need not trouble us here.

In human relations it takes at least two to have a relationship, with each person having a name. And so it is with God; but the Tetragrammaton (YHWH) is mysterious and takes us into an entirely new dimension of  relationship. There are severe restrictions on how the name should be used, and curses for those who misuse it. Those who enjoy a privileged relationship with God speak it reverently.

The scriptures tell us the name of Jesus was chosen by God and revealed to Mary and Joseph. Etymologically it means, “YHWH is salvation” and is akin to Joshua and Jesse. It was not an unusual name; in fact another Jesus appears in the New Testament (Acts of the Apostles 13:6); but clearly its meaning (salvation) resonates with Good News.

Wherever the disciples go, the Name of Jesus invokes the Presence of God, his shekina. With that name on their lips evangelizing disciples have nothing to fear. We find them in the Acts of the Apostles acting boldly as they free the imprisoned, heal the sick, raise the dead and defy both Roman and Jewish authorities.
In the picture above,
a little girl offers
baskets of fruit and vegetable

We keep this memorial on January 3rd in our Franciscan calendar because Saint Francis and the early friars revived the ancient tradition of praying in his name. Saint Bernadine of Siena encouraged the devout to add the word to the Hail Mary, immediately after “the fruit of thy womb.” He also introduced peace to cities torn by civil war with his "Holy Name societies." 

In our time we have seen devotion to the Name revived in many quarters in America. His name is a gift for us, an extraordinary privilege. It is a song in our hearts, sweetness in our mouth and authority in our prayers. 

1 comment:

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.