Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Memorial of Saint Francis de Sales, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/012412.cfm


And looking around at those seated in the circle he said,
"Here are my mother and my brothers.
For whoever does the will of God
is my brother and sister and mother."



Of all the Evangelists, Saint Mark draws the sharpest divide between Jesus and his family. At best, they play a minor role in all the gospels. 
But Mark's gospel accentuates the isolation of Jesus and his total surrender to the One who has only whispered to him. When Jesus was baptized, according to Mark, only he heard the reassuring word: 
And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.’
 That reassuring voice would not be heard again even in Gethsemane. In the beginning of the Gospel Jesus is like a roaring lion out of the wilderness, untamed and irresistible. Thousands flock to him for his teachings and healing while the Pharisees helplessly wring their hands. 
But in the end he will be abandoned by his nation, people, family and disciples. Neither the law nor his religion will sustain him; not even God will assist him as he cries to heaven: 
‘Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?’ which means, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’
 And yet "He is the king of glory." A suffering psychiatric patient recently reminded me of the horror of the cross. This devout Catholic Veteran is appalled at what he has seen in war. In its brutality he saw the suffering face of Jesus and he has not yet recovered from the trauma. It simply does not "fit" into what he had come to expect of life. 


In our prayer and practice of faith each of us must integrate agony and ecstasy to discover the glory of the cross. That's more easily said than done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.