Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time



Dusk on the water
He appointed Twelve, whom he also named Apostles, that they might be with him....

I am sure I heard a teacher in high school, university or theology remind me that we are all “vessels of clay.” Certainly, I have heard that gentle word in many sermons. So why does it always seem like a new insight to me?
The fellows Jesus chose for apostles were certified vessels of clay, right down to the scoundrel Judas. Some of them he nicknamed Sons of Thunder. He was probably teasing them for their loud voices and louder opinions. Other apostles, like Peter, are remembered fondly for their shortcomings. In his gospel, Saint Mark summarized his estimation of the group with his terse remark, “They all deserted him and fled.” (14:50). Has a worse censure ever been pronounced? 


But St Mark reminds us the apostles were appointed “that they might be with him,” (which is just the opposite of deserting and fleeing). Being with Jesus is the vocation of every Christian. Before we do anything, speak or think anything, we should abide with Jesus.

Martin Luther, echoing Saint Paul and much of the Christian tradition, insisted that we are saved by faith alone. But the word faith often implies doctrines, beliefs and opinions. After five hundred years of division over Martin Luther's teaching, I would suggest another word: fidelity. By that I mean persistent, courageous cleaving to the person of Jesus. We take shelter in the shadow of his wings; we hide in the safety of his Heart. 
Fidelity is not holding an opinion; no one is saved by his opinions. Rather, because we are vessels of clay, we cling to Jesus as our friend and champion.

I love you, LORD, my strength,
LORD, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer,
My God, my rock of refuge,
my shield, my saving horn, my stronghold!
Praised be the LORD, I exclaim!
I have been delivered from my enemies. Psalm 18

1 comment:

  1. I think of two songs today. Earthen Vessels and Servant song. May our earthen vessels serve the Lord with the upmost commitment.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.