Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wednesday of the second week in Lent



Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee approached Jesus with her sons and did him homage, wishing to ask him for something.

There is probably a comic undercurrent to the above lines. The woman uses the proper approach with Jesus, giving him “homage” before she asks for something. That is the way business is conducted in a stratified society where privileged people dole out favors to the rest of mankind, in return for loyal service. 
Jesus clearly had great authority although he associated with the lowly and was the meekest of men. If you wanted something from him, it seemed reasonable to do him homage. But neither she nor her sons have any idea what they are asking.

Jesus responds, of course, in his own way. First, he cannot give them places on his left and right. The “Father” decides who should have them, and they were apparently bestowed upon the criminals who were crucified with Jesus. But Jesus will make an extraordinary promise to the eager young men: My chalice you will indeed drink….”

There are four references to the chalice (or "cup") in the Gospel of Saint Matthew. Two appear in this passage. The third is Jesus’ command: Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you….” The fourth finds Jesus in Gethsemane: And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want.’

Drinking of his chalice signifies our willingness to be with the Lord through his passion, death and resurrection; and our willingness to drink deeply life’s sorrow as he walks with us. More than a gesture of good intentions, we truly drink his blood as he draws us into the Paschal Mystery.
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be answerable for the body and blood of the Lord. Examine yourselves, and only then eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For all who eat and drink without discerning the body, eat and drink judgement against themselves. (1 Cor 11:26-29)

Whenever Jesus speaks of his coming passion, he follows it with a teaching about discipleship and service. If he must die on a cross, his disciples must take up their crosses daily. They must drink from the same cup; they must love one another as he has loved them. To Jesus’ question, “Can you drink the chalice that I am going to drink?" they must answer with eager confidence, "We can."

1 comment:

  1. This reflection reminds me of my high school English teacher, Ms. Hamilton. She used to comment on how Kindergarteners come to the first day of school so eager and happy to go to school. But if they only knew of all the tests and papers and projects that await them, they would stay home.

    Sometimes I am like that, eager to follow the Lord and drink from His cup. I am like the eager Kindergartener. Sometimes I am like the hardened eighth grader who knows it all. I really know nothing. Sometimes I am like the high school senior who is ready to change the world. I only need to change my own attitude. Sometimes I get a glimpse of who I really am. I am the humble servant of the King.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.