Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday of the fourth week of Lent



Pied-billed grebe at MSF
So Jesus cried out in the temple area as he was teaching and said,
"You know me and also know where I am from.
Yet I did not come on my own,
but the one who sent me, whom you do not know, is true.

I know him, because I am from him, and he sent me."

From the moment of his appearance, Jesus’ trajectory moves from Galilee toward confusion, crisis and crucifixion. Even those who seem to be friendly and receptive at first will be confounded by his challenge. They will finally reject him, while his disciples -- those whom he has chosen by name -- are stunned into helpless silence. They don’t know what to make of Jesus but they have nowhere else to turn. 

Saint John accentuates the mystery of Jesus with the questions of where he came from and where he is going. If John’s congregation knew the gospels of Matthew and Luke, and the story of his birth in Bethlehem, he did not cite those texts because they don’t really answer the question. Where does Jesus come from?

Twenty centuries later, we’d still like to know the answer to that and other questions about Jesus. Before we make a decision about him, before we commit our lives to him: we have many questions.But that's our fear taking control. We want to know what we’re getting into and how much it will cost. 

As often happens in life, the answer is not forthcoming; and yet we must choose. If we wait too long the moment, the Season of Lent, the window of opportunity -- will pass and the door will be closed.

Jesus’ origins are mysterious. If we must have words, we might say “He comes from God” or “He comes from Truth.” But no one knows where God or Truth abides until she knows Jesus. Those words of explanation might deflect worried friends who think the Christian has lost her mind, but they don't bring her any closer to answering her questions or satisfying the Lord's demand. They are baby steps when it's time to jump across the chasm of fear. 

We are now rapidly approaching Passiontide, the fifth and sixth weeks of Lent. The readings of our Masses will grow more intense as Jesus approaches Jerusalem and Calvary. Many will drop away from Jesus. Their nerves will fail. We must go with him. 
So Thomas, called Didymus, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go to die with him.” John 11:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.