Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday of the First Week in Lent

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/030212.cfm


Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD;
LORD, hear my voice!
Let your ears be attentive
to my voice in supplication.

If you, O LORD, mark iniquities,
LORD, who can stand?
But with you is forgiveness,
that you may be revered. 



The verses above are the opening lines of Psalm 130, known as De Profundis -- from out of the depths. Which of us  has not considered our sins and their enormity in the brilliant light of God's love? 
As I go about the VA hospital, I often say to Veterans and others, "If God is not merciful, you and I are in very deep trouble!" 
When we were children perhaps we tried to envision the book of  our lives in gold ink and black ink, and hoped there was more gold than black. We were like the intoxicated driver who stands trial for reckless driving and vehicular homicide, who says, "But what about all the red lights I did stop for?" 
None of his virtuous deeds shall be remembered,
because he has broken faith and committed sin;
because of this, he shall die. 
During Lent we set aside all those foolish pleas of innocence. Their only purpose was to prove we don't need God's mercy. 


In today's Gospel the Lord recalls our abusive language and its consequence. Although I may have never given myself to alcohol, drugs or sexual promiscuity, the angry thoughts, words and deeds rise up to condemn me. There were acts of gossip and ostracism, shaming and vilification. There were the silent boasts, "I thank you God that I am not like the rest of men!" 
They too served only to prove I have no need of God's mercy. I can stand on my own righteousness! 


The Psalms are called the prayer book of the Church. They teach us to pray. Psalm 130, in particular, reminds us to surrender every pretense of righteousness. That garment is filthy, torn and ratty; it is not a fitting wedding garment for the Banquet which God has prepared for us. 

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps the experience of mercy I best know is what I hope my children will have for me and my shortcomings. That makes me know I must then show mercy towards my own parents and forgive their shortcomings.
    There is nothing like parenting to help one understand the love of God.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.