Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time


http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/072112.cfm




he will not contend or cry out,nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets.a bruised reed he will not break,a smoldering wick he will not quench,until he brings justice to victory.and in his name the gentiles will hope.



Franciscan spirituality teaches us about a humble God who approaches us without power. Francis was continually amazed at that. Clearly God has the power; Francis saw that clearly too. But by his birth in humble circumstances, his exile in Egypt, his homelessness and poverty, God chose to take his place among the poorest of the poor.

That vision of God has left its mark on Western civilization. At least the Christmas chrechè that appears every December indicates some appreciation for the poverty of Christ. Perhaps that's why it's so controversial. I wonder if our atheist opposition would be more content if we described our God as born in a royal palace with kings and queens in attendance, while the shepherds keep their distance in the darkened pastures. There is nothing unusual about the trappings of power. It's safe, common and predictably suffocating.

In today's gospel we hear how Jesus withdrew from the fray for a while. Some might suppose he was frightened; I would believe he followed the promptings of the Spirit.  Matthew takes the opportunity to recall Isaiah's prophesy, that the Messiah would approach the People of God wrapped in gentleness and humility. This prophesy had not played a major role in Jewish religion; nor, for that matter, has it taken deep root in our religious consciousness, despite the best efforts of the early church and the second millennial efforts of mendicant orders.

God's humility is a deep mystery which appears only to the contemplative. I can speak of it, of course, but I can't say I've actually got it! To get it, one must actually approach others with that same humble spirit which declines the opportunity to break the bruised reed and quench the smoldering wick. Give me an argument and I still go for the jugular.

And so I wait on the healing of God to teach me his foolish ways, those ways that are wiser than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.