Saturday, July 7, 2012

Saturday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time



The disciples of John approached Jesus and said,
"Why do we and the Pharisees fast much,
but your disciples do not fast?"
Jesus answered them, "Can the wedding guests mourn
as long as the bridegroom is with them?
The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them,
and then they will fast.

A year and a half ago I quit eating sugar in most of its forms. I don’t eat desert, cookies, cakes, pies or candy. I quit drinking sugar-sweetened soft drinks. My one exception is peanut butter, because natural peanut butter comes in glass jars too small to bother with. In the meanwhile I’ve lost a good deal of weight and I am happy about that.
Perhaps the experience qualifies me to say something about fasting. I’ve generally thought of fasting as something the religious person does for the love of God and I have supposed there should be no other reason. I was especially suspicious of dieting to lose weight and regain one’s long lost figure.
I have, in fact, regained a certain figure. I’m in pretty good shape for an old guy. And I’ve watched the weight loss with endless fascination and great satisfaction. But I won’t say the love of God had nothing to do with it. That would be too harsh a judgment on myself, and perhaps an unrealistic assessment of the meaning of fasting.
Fasting is a way of disciplining the body; it can also be a physical prayer. The presence of hunger may remind me of God’s presence. I can let that happen.

More to the point, the practice of healthy eating fits into a life style of healthy living. Religious fasting is never an isolated element of the spiritual life. It goes with regular exercise, daily prayer, sufficient sleep, etc. Fasting without prayer and almsgiving; or prayer without almsgiving and fasting; or almsgiving without prayer and fasting: none of these combinations make much spiritual sense. To be whole one must nurture deep roots in the human community (let's call that charity or almsgiving), pay one’s fealty to God (through private and public prayer), and discipline the body (exercise, fasting, etc).

Fasting has helped me to face a big, hard fact of life – I’m not getting any younger. At some point I have to say, “I enjoyed that when I was younger, but I can’t do it anymore.” Whether it’s playing football, pulling all nighters, drinking hard liquor or eating anything I want to eat: I have to admit those days are over.  It was nice while it lasted.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice03th.gifToo bad! So Sorry! But, please, no self pity! Life is too short to waste mourning one's lost youth. There is a time for everything under heaven and that surely includes a time to grow old and enjoy whatever new opportunities that entails. God never closes one day that he doesn’t open another. If, like the tiny door at Alice’s feet, the gate is too narrow and the road too constricted (Matthew 7:14) I’ll just have to shed some baggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.