Monday, April 29, 2013

Memorial of Saint Catherine of Siena, Virgin and Doctor of the Church

Lectionary: 285

And the priest of Zeus, whose temple was at the entrance to the city,
brought oxen and garlands to the gates,
for he together with the people intended to offer sacrifice.


This comical passage in the Acts of the Apostles invites us to reflect upon the challenges of evangelization, and especially the danger of exploitation. After his experience at Lystra Saint Paul was well aware of the danger. He acknowledges there is profit in religion but it is of the spiritual kind. Thanking his friends in Thessalonica he wrote: 
For even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me help for my needs more than once. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that accumulates to your account. I have been paid in full and have more than enough; I am fully satisfied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. And my God will fully satisfy every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen
Travelers to Europe often marvel at the wonderful churches and cathedrals they find there. Tourists in older American cities and small towns also find astonishing churches, both Catholic and Protestant here. They remark on how expensive these buildings are, and at the sacrifice Christians made when they erected them. Maintaining them is sometimes more than the local church can afford. 

Why did they build such buildings? For the glory of God, and because their sense of ownership was not confined to their own personal property. If they could not boast of their homes, cars, second homes, bathrooms, art work or toys they could show off "our church." It was adorned lavishly with costly workmanship and exotic materials. Those Irish linens, golden vessels and embroidered vestments were not donated by the manufacturers! 

That generous tradition, of course, continues with the construction of new churches. I was overwhelmed with the grace and beauty of the new Catholic cathedral in Los Angeles. When I remarked about it to some Los Angelinos I heard them complain about its sumptiousness. But I heard in their remarks the grumbling of Judas Iscariot; when the prophetess anointed the feet of Jesus "in preparation for my burial," he said the oil should have been sold and the money given to the poor. As if....

Our faith teaches us to share our goods with one another and to hold everything in common. My Franciscan Order gives to the poor also, as provinces and as friaries. But we risk our vocations when we adopt personal charities. We should not claim ownership of anything, not even charity. 

The "profit" the Christian enjoys is primarily spiritual; we belong to a Church which, as "the Body of Christ" saves the world through out practice of faith, hope and love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.