Saturday, April 27, 2013

Saturday of the Fourth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 284


Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time
and you still do not know me, Philip?
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?
Preachers sometimes complain about the Gospel of Saint John. How does one preach about a gospel that seems to repeat itself endlessly? And yet it’s hard to find any two phrases in the text that are exactly the same. It circles endlessly around the same themes, finding new ways to lead us ever deeper into its mystery.
The Gospel reminds me of Buddhist stories of the eager disciple and the elderly teacher. The boy never seems to “get it” though he can recite the words of his teacher chapter and verse. Bright, eager, clever: he hasn’t a clue and his teacher continually berates his stupidity. But one day he sweeps the floor or dusts a bookshelf and the old man lavishes praise on him, “Now you’re getting it!”
“Getting what?” the boy asks and the elder laughs – but says nothing.
The Gospel of Saint John circles around me continually, like an impatient teacher, repeating familiar phrases that I thought I understood; and complains, “Have I been with you for so long a time…?”
“I believe. Help my unbelief!”
The Gospels are about faith -- and hope and love. It is not enough to understand. In fact it is not possible to understand without love and hope. The three "theological virtues" are bound together and one cannot possess one without possessing all three; nor can one neglect one without neglecting the others.

Sometimes we try to do the loving thing although it doesn't seem to be the wise thing to do; or the "pastoral" without the prudent; and we realize later it was neither pastoral nor prudent. Fidelity to truth is, in the long run, kindness; but it may not feel like it at the time.

Each year at Easter we return to the Gospel of Saint John to ponder its depths. Each year it leads us deeper and we rediscover its inexhaustible wisdom. Such is the mystery of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.