Saturday, April 20, 2013

Saturday of the Third Week of Easter

Lectionary: 278


Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe
and the one who would betray him.
And he said, “For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me
unless it is granted him by my Father.”
As a result of this,
many of his disciples returned to their former way of life
and no longer walked with him.
Jesus then said to the Twelve, “Do you also want to leave?”

Christians of every age have struggled to explain, define and articulate the incident in this passage and others like it. Why did many of his disciples return to their former way of life? Were they not chosen? Did God not love them?
In the AA and other twelve step programs I have seen men and women return to their insane behavior and many died of the disease. Why have I not had a drink in 33 years? Why I have I sought reconciliation and healing and the serenity of prayer?
The question of election has been argued heatedly between Calvinist and Arminian Protestants. I don’t know that Catholic theologians have spent much energy on it. As ponderous as it sounds, it’s not as important as the question Jesus asks, “Do you also want to leave?”
There are some things not even the all powerful God can do. One of them is force us to love. By its very nature love is a choice. Because we are creatures of clay it is not a choice we make in an instantaneous moment; it is the choice of a lifetime, made repeatedly in innumerable ways and under countless circumstances.

Jesus puts the question to his disciples, "Do you also want to leave?" One of the few men who survived a suicidal leap off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco said, "In that moment I realized every decision I had ever made could be undone, except this one." It is possible to choose death in a moment, but the decision for life requires a lifetime.

Will you also leave? What is your answer this morning? What will it be this evening? And tomorrow morning? You don't know. You will have to wait and see. You will make that decision as that moment arrives, and each decision will prepare for the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.