Thursday, September 13, 2018

Memorial of Saint John Chrysostom, Bishop and Doctor


Knowledge inflates with pride, but love builds up. If anyone supposes he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know. But if one loves God, one is known by him.


In the eighth chapter of 1 Corinthians, Saint Paul addresses the dicey issue of food. The Gospel claims authority over every aspect of our lives but I think there are three that are especially ungovernable: money, sex and food. (Saint James added a fourth, the tongue.)
Saint Paul seems to approach the topic of food cautiously. If anyone supposes he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know.
It seems that fools rush their hardened opinions into a conversation almost before the topic has been addressed, and certainly where angels hesitate. A Buddhist aphorism may also apply, "Those who know do not say; those who say do not know." 
"So about the eating of meat sacrificed to idols..." As I understand the Spanish bullfight began as a popular game with religious overtones. I suppose the animals somehow represented gods, demons and chaos; matadors represented order, civility and culture. The animals usually lose, their meat is taken to market and the citizens enjoy their banquets. 
So what is the Christian to make of this pagan ceremony? If we partake of it are we worshiping false gods? Will our neighbors think we've surrendered the true faith and returned to our old ways? 
Saint Paul respected the religious scruples of these former pagans; he had his own Jewish scruples to deal with. So he advised the community to be patient with the scruples of those who are weak. (Romans 15). The point is not whether we should or should not eat meat; the point is we stand together, we care about one another; we bear one another's weakness. 
In recent years, liturgists and many bishops urged Catholics to remain standing throughout the Communion procession until everyone has received the Eucharist. The older custom, dating from before Vatican II, dictated that we should kneel. (My mother said we should put our faces in our hands and weep for our sins. She probably wept for my sins!) 
I suppose the newer custom wants us to move together. The unity of the congregation should not break down as, one by one, each person get his and her piece. Rather, we sit, stand, kneel, move, sing and pray together, as one. When I had a very small, weekday congregation of eight to ten people in Louisiana, I made a point of standing until the last person had received from the chalice. The others, seeing me stand, followed my example; and they seemed to get it. We stood together, then we sat together. 
A friend asked me what should she do in her parish church when most people ignored the new custom. I suggested that she not make a prophetic gesture. "Go with the flow; don't make your self out to be the standout, stand-apart individual." It's better to act with the community. 
It's more important that I join the fellowship than that I be right. My married brothers tell me the same thing! 
Jesus prayed, as Saint John Paul II reminded us, Ut unum sint! That all may be one. Sometimes it's not that difficult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.