Friday, September 7, 2018

Friday of the Twenty-second Week in Ordinary Time


Thus should one regard us: as servants of Christ
and stewards of the mysteries of God.
Now it is of course required of stewards
that they be found trustworthy.


Today's first reading, a passage from 1 Corinthians, can only be read with pain by many Catholics in the United States and around the world. Servants of Christ and stewards of God's mysteries must be found trustworthy. 
Our doctrines are not like those of the mathematician or scientists, whose teachings are true or false regardless of the teacher. A fiend may teach trigonometry or botany; his students may test his opinions against those of other experts but the truth of his principles do not depend upon his personal integrity. 
The Catholic Church has often taught a similar doctrine: the sacraments do not rely on the personal integrity of the priest who celebrates them. When he has pronounced the words of consecration -- "This is my body... This is my blood..." -- the Lord is truly present under the appearances of bread and wine, even if the priest is clearly unworthy of his office. 
Devout Catholics may cling to that teaching in this dark hour; but I have to wonder if the teaching wasn't borne following a local scandal in some Italian village or town, before the age of mass/instantaneous communication. It's one thing if the local pastor is discovered as a pedophile or pervert; it's something else altogether when thousands of priests and their superiors are discovered in an international conspiracy of abuse, denial and cover-up. 
This ongoing affair is starting to feel like the Wrath of God which appears so often in the Old Testament. The Catholic Church has often declared itself the Church Militant and the Church Triumphant. With denunciations of abortion, homosexuality and birth control we are the Church Righteous. Because the Church's Canon Law is implicated in the crimes of bishops and priest, we realize we are also a Church of Systemic Sin.
As I understand canon lawyers look to the actual practice of the Church as they codify the life of the Church. Our life reflects our beliefs, which is expressed in our homilies and celebrated with our liturgies. Canon law can no more change the Church than a single cop can stop a neighborhood riot. Nor, for that matter, can Pope Francis change the practice and beliefs and disciplines of the Church. His duty is to preserve the tradition, not to alter it.
We must become a Church Penitent. We must read the Old and New Testaments and realize those terrible curses addressed to ancient scribes, Pharisees, Levites and Herodians are aimed squarely at us. We must hear God's wrath in the sentence of judges.
It's hard to make sense of punishment. Not many criminals admit, "I did this to myself." Only occasionally do I meet patients who say, "I wouldn't listen and now look at what I've become."
It's much easier to find a scapegoat, a pariah, someone else to blame. Cardinal Vigano blames homosexuals. I have blamed alcoholics and smokers. Some people blame celibacy; others blame the male-only priesthood. No explanation stands up to analysis.
I don't believe we can wait this out. It will not pass.
I do believe we can wait on God the Father of Jesus, who is most merciful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.