Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Wednesday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time


Two things I ask of you,
deny them not to me before I die:
Put falsehood and lying far from me,
give me neither poverty nor riches;
provide me only with the food I need;
Lest, being full, I deny you,
saying, "Who is the LORD?"
Or, being in want, I steal,
and profane the name of my God.

The Book of Proverbs, to my mind, is not burdened with the urgency of much of scripture. The Laws expect close attention at all times; there is room for interpretation but not for cheating the Lord of his due. The prophets demand an immediate change of heart lest we forfeit God's favor and the nations -- Assyrians, Babylonians or Egyptians -- come and sweep us away! Apocalyptic literature intensifies the prophetic anxiety because the enemy is at the gate! There is no time left!
Proverbs are offered to children for reflection. "Let's think about these things; let's discuss these things. Don't you think God's ways are better than ours?" In this twenty-first century, in the wake of September 11 and the apocalypse represented by Trump, I appreciate the respite.
The sage invites us to consider the polarities of poverty and wealth. Which is better?
Wealth has much to recommend it. Money pays off debtors, buys the better things, impresses strangers, saves for a rainy day, and gives the general impression of God's favor. But wealth is often anxious; having more than one needs seems to breed a desire for yet-more and a dread of losing even a little. Enough is never enough. Plus, there's the resentment of neighbors and the continual demands of family.
Poverty, on the other hand, relies on the patience of debtors, which may be in short supply. It has to scrape by from day to day, forgoing any thought of leisure. Poverty can't invest in the better foods, health care and education; nor can it manage vacations to exotic places. Poverty is also resented by family, neighbors and strangers who regard it as a sign of God's disfavor. The poor are always suspected of crime since they can't afford the protection of wily lawyers.
But poverty, our religion tells us, is favored by God, who sent his son to live in poverty. There is that!
The Sage of Proverbs urges us to prefer neither
Lest, being full, I deny you,
saying, "Who is the LORD?"
Or, being in want, I steal,
and profane the name of my God.
Clearly, no one can afford the loss of God's favor. Our jealous God will tolerate neither the presumptions of wealth nor the resentments of poverty. God's people should cultivate always a grateful spirit, first for God's undeserved friendship, and secondly for the gifts associated with one's state. The wealthy have the privilege of giving generously; the poor, of receiving graciously.
It is good, once in a while, to retreat from the world's endless crises and reflect on these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.