Saturday, September 1, 2018

Saturday of the Twenty-first Week in Ordinary Time


Come, share your master's joy.

On this Saturday -- the seventh day of the week and a day of relaxation for many of us -- let me reflect on that wonderful invitation of the master of those servants: "Come, share your master's joy."
When I think of sharing your master's joy -- especially if the master is God! -- I think of heaven and "Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord." I can do without the work, thank you very much. But this fellow appoints the two servants who have proven their worth with "greater responsibilities!"
Whoa! I was thinking, like, v-a-c-a-t-I-o-n!
But the "master's joy" is greater responsibility and being closer to him! 

We should notice, and remember often, that our God is happy. Freedom, of course, is a fountain of happiness; and God, by definition, enjoys perfect freedom.
And we should notice that God, by revelation, is for us. He bows down to save us. He willingly gives his only beloved son for us -- Who lays down his life for us -- Who pours his spirit into us in a sacrifice that is unstinting and complete. God can give no more for us because he has exhausted his eternal, endless, infinite grace in the gifts of Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

God is happy to do so! Joyful, delighted, ecstatic!

Then God invites us to share that joy of complete surrender in love. It is a great responsibility. Not exactly a vacation. Invited to Come, share your master's joy, we draw closer to the inexhaustible happiness of God. It is sheer delight to be with God.

I think of God as parent who gives gifts to the child and is delighted to watch the child play with these gifts. At first they may be toys; later they may be tools for work; eventually they may be training and responsibility.

Finally, the Lord says to each of us, "Come, sit with me." We might be reluctant to abandon our toys. We have invested much of our identity in our possessions, talents, skills and responsibilities. Being without them feels like nothing!

This responsibility flows both ways. The child who takes only the gifts but cannot give herself to her parent, fails her responsibility. And there is responsibility in being God. The parent who only gives gifts to the child fails the child for not giving herself; and God cannot fail to give us himself.

The purist might insist God owes us nothing and I cannot disagree. God's gift is pure gift. But clearly God wants to pour himself out in love for us.

Sharing our master's joy, we know the Lord; we enjoy a profound intimacy in the Presence of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, in the communion of Mary and all the saints. It is a great responsibility, a joy, and such a privilege!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.