Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Memorial of the Guardian Angels

Lectionary: 456/650

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones,
for I say to you that their angels in heaven
always look upon the face of my heavenly Father."

Flying recently from Chicago to Phoenix, I shared three seats with a couple and their two-year old daughter. I had not quite bargained for that as I planned my trip. The girl chattered almost the entire way and occasionally watched a video or played a computer game. I worried that the fluctuating air pressure might cause her as much pain as it causes me. I've often heard toddlers shrieking in pain as we descended, but she never seemed to notice. As we landed the young fellow said to me, "Thank you for your patience."
Actually, there was no challenge, though a slight look of OMG might have shadowed my face when they chose the seats next to me.
I wanted to say to them, "Thank you for having a child!" (Another is on the way, though I will never ask about that!) At least they weren't carrying a dog, cat or peacock for comfort! It's a strange world indeed when people prefer careers and animals to children. 
I don't think Jesus of Nazareth ever imagined such a world. How could he teach us "unless you turn and be like children" if we have no children. 
In fact we need children -- and old people, people of color, people with disabilities, people of different religions, languages, skills and opinions. We need people with special needs because every one of us have special needs and none of us can survive without the assistance of others. 
But since we don't really get that, we also need Guardian Angels. They prompt us like my mother who, when I came home on vacation, before I'd taken my hat off, would say, "Call your grandmother!" They remind us to apologize, to offer assistance, and to think about somebody else for a change! 
I like this image of an angel apparently guarding a homeless man, though they seem to be higher than the street. I don't know the artist or the story, but the image reminds me that everyone needs a guardian angels because His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches over me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.