Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Wednesday of the Twenty-seventh Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 463

Father, hallowed be your name,
your Kingdom come....


The Evangelists Matthew and Luke give us differing versions of "The Lord's Prayer" but both agree with the phrases, "Hallowed by thy name" and "Your kingdom come."
They remind Christian petitioners of what is really important. Despite the urgency of our needs, whose urgency is the Spirit's, our satisfaction will be complete when God's name is hallowed and God's kingdom comes. Although the Lord has "not come to be served but to serve," that gives me no right to prefer my plan of salvation over God's.
I once spoke to a congregation about "the fear of the Lord," reminding them that the phrase signifies devotion, piety, reverence, awe, and so forth. One fellow heard nothing but "the fear of the Lord" and, calling me aside afterward, told me I should never speak of that again. He insisted we should never fear God.
I could not know what psychological demons possessed his mind and crowded out my teaching, but he had missed the point entirely. Nor did he hear my second, private attempt to explain the phrase.
When I think of the fear of the Lord I remember the story of the lad who said, "I would never commit suicide; my dad would kill me if I did!"
The boy apparently feels the presence of his parent wherever he goes and whatever he does. He is not fascinated by notions of suicide, drinking, drugging or sexting because his father will not permit him to indulge in stupid, irresponsible exploits. He thinks of his father's authority even before he notices the contradictions of his statement about suicide.
I hope this young man will grow up to discover the Father of Jesus, and his gratitude for his biological father will be all the richer.
Psalm 36:Sin directs the heart of the wicked man; his eyes are closed to the fear of God. For he lives with the delusion: his guilt will not be known and hated. Empty and false are the words of his mouth; he has ceased to be wise and do good. On his bed he hatches plots; he sets out on a wicked way; he does not reject evil.

A pervasive culture of secularism honors only money. To them, women, men and children are commodities; water, air and soil are only for their use. I fear for them, and for those they despise. 
Secular attitudes creep into our religion when we dismiss the fear of the Lord as old-fashioned superstition. Despite the many authorities who tell us to have no fear of God, I think we should cultivate it. 
I should be afraid to violate a child because the Lord became a little child. I should be afraid to insult any woman because Mary is Blessed among Women. I am afraid to accept a favor without saying thank you. I shudder at the thought of throwing the Blessed Sacrament in the trash; Catholics have died defending that "piece of bread." 
The Veterans I meet in the hospital have a deep reverence for the American flag. I honor the flag for them, and for my dad, a US Marine. 
In God's kingdom, for which coming we pray daily, his eye is on the sparrow. I should be afraid to despise that common creature. 

The Fear of the Lord, the scriptures tell us repeatedly, is the beginning of the wisdom. Those who fear the Lord need fear no one else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.