Saturday, October 6, 2018

Saturday o the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 460


The seventy-two disciples returned rejoicing and said to Jesus, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us because of your name."
Jesus said, "I have observed Satan fall like lightning from the sky. Behold, I have given you the power 'to tread upon serpents' and scorpions and upon the full force of the enemy
and nothing will harm you.
Nevertheless, do not rejoice because the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice because your names are written in heaven."



Recently, I lost another discussion. I have known my friend a very long time and I have never won a discussion with him. He, of course, would never admit that he "won the discussion," because he doesn't realize he is arguing about anything. It's simply a "discussion" in which he has chosen a position and hammered away at it until I admitted he was right. Of course, I didn't actually disagree with him. I just had to admit he is right. He needs to be right. He also needs to differ, not disagree, with anything I might say. And I should admit that he is right without asserting that my opinion is also right; that would spoil his victory.
Discussions with him are very tiresome. Perhaps they're good for my humility. He and I, in fact, are very much alike.
In today's gospel Jesus rejoices with his disciples as they share their stories of a successful mission. He affirms their experience: "...I saw Satan fall like lightning from the sky!"
But he must remind his exhilarated friends that the victory was his, not theirs. His name confused and routed the demons. Not their strength, courage or righteousness, much less their virtue or orthodox correctness.
Their victory, nonetheless, is well worth the winning -- "...your names are written in heaven." There's much to be said for that!
The best way to accomplish something is often to let someone else believe the inspiration, energy and accomplishment was his. It really doesn't matter whose idea it was; if it succeeded as a good idea and something good came of it, rejoice!
As John the Baptist said, "He must increase and I must decrease."
"Lord, save me from myself. Deliver me from ego."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.