Friday, January 4, 2019

Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, Religious


In this way,
the children of God and the children of the Devil are made plain;
no one who fails to act in righteousness belongs to God,
nor anyone who does not love his brother.

The Evangelist Saint John, sometimes called "the Divine," lived in the same complicated, messy world in which you and I live. He had to make hard choices as he dealt with sinners, liars, thieves and scoundrels. He sometimes had to protect his loved ones from harm by telling their enemies what they wanted to hear, rather than what they should hear. Facts do lie on occasion, if you disclose the right ones at the right time; they can be useful for that. 
But the Evangelist of the Fourth Gospel and three Letters never loses sight of the Truth, nor do the people he describes as "children of God." We must live in the Truth. 
Saint Augustine said it best, "It always takes courage to tell the truth." It takes no particular courage to relay a fact since all the facts in the world cannot add up to the truth. Facts, from the Latin word facere, mean nothing without their proper context. Removed from that context, they're not true, much less useful or reliable. Placed in an alien context they mislead and deceive. 
But to speak the truth takes courage for it's essentially an act of trust. When I tell you the truth I believe you deserve to know the truth; I will entrust you with it. I will explain myself as best I can so that you might understand what I am saying; so that you will be able to conceive that truth in your heart and bring it forth in the labor of birth. It's no easy task for either of us unless the Holy Spirit makes it happen. 
But it's not hard to recognize a liar, as Saint John knew so well. The liar is one who assures you, "I always tell the truth!" Thinking they know, own and control the truth, they will speak reassuring words to you. "Trust me!" they say, "I know what I'm doing." 
Don't walk. Run. Flee from their presence. 
...no one who fails to act in righteousness belongs to God,
nor anyone who does not love his brother (and sister).
Entering this new year, assailed by voices on every side, most of them trying to persuade us of one thing and to sell us something else, we ask the Lord to guide us in Truth, and especially to lead us among those who know and worship the Truth and live humbly within it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.