Thursday, January 3, 2019

Optional Memorial of the Most Holy Name of Jesus



The child was named Jesus, the name given him by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

Both Evangelists, Matthew and Luke, tell us the name Jesus was announced by an angel and came directly from God. Luke pointedly reminds us of that, the only detail he gives us about Jesus' circumcision. It was not an uncommon name; Joshua was one of the greatest heroes of Jewish tradition and many men have proudly bore his name ever since. It was rich with meaning and, evidently, the Christian must pause to consider it:
In Matthew's Gospel the angel explained the name means, "...he will save his people from their sins.”
The same angel speaks at greater length to Mary, "He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”

Naming is a peculiarly human convention. So far as I know, animals do not use them with each other, not even the more intelligent bonobos and gorillas. Dogs appear to recognize their names at least in their owner's voice, though they cannot pronounce them. Certainly they mean nothing to one another when they meet in the dog park. Dolphins, it is said, may be calling particular words to one another as they swim, and these sounds may serve as names; but the dolphins don't actually call each other by the names. Only humans do that.
Of course someone in complete isolation doesn't need a name either; they're only useful for interactions. They often indicate the type of relationship we have with others. I don't expect the federal government to call me "Father," nor do I expect it of my sister; but neither do they use the same name. I have a nickname from my college years that only my classmates use. Although the word means nothing in anyone's dictionary, it means something to us -- but you had to be there to know what it means. No one could explain it.
That's the mystery of naming, that they mean something very particular to those who own the names, and to those who call them; but the names belong only to those with the privilege of using it.
If the ancient Christians appreciated the name of Jesus, denizens of the twenty-first century should appreciate it all the more, for we have become hypersensitive to identity theft. I will trust one of my names -- my social security number -- to only a few. There is power in knowing certain names.
There is great power in the name of Jesus for...
There is no salvation through anyone else, nor is there any other name under heaven given to the human race by which we are to be saved.”
From time to time a pious movement will reinforce the holiness of Jesus' name. Saint Bernardine of Siena preached this doctrine with great conviction, setting up "holy name" societies wherever he preached. When I was a boy I joined my father in attending meetings of the Holy Name Society, but I don't remember much indoctrination when I joined the male-only social club. Some wags would say they got so upset they almost lost their membership. And I suppose some men couldn't be admitted for the same reason.
In the New Testament, especially in Saint Luke's writing, the Name of Jesus is revered like a sacrament. It has healing power. It should be announced to the nations. It is the key to knowledge and insight. Anyone who does not know Jesus knows nothing of what human life truly means; they have no access to truth.
If the name is often profaned, we should consider the humility of the Lord who was born among us and gave himself into our hands despite our manifest unworthiness, despite the doom he knew awaited him. Hearing the Name casually abused we should ponder and prepare for That Day when the Voice of Thunder will proclaim the Name throughout the universe. Nations will tremble. Kings, presidents and rulers of every sort will bow down in fear upon hearing the sound. The Name which seemed to mean nothing to those who violated everything sacred will strike terror in their hearts.
The Name of Jesus is our delight and privilege. We know to whom it belongs; He claims us and names us as his own

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.