Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Baptism of the Lord


Here is my servant whom I uphold, 
my chosen one with whom I am pleased, 
upon whom I have put my spirit;


According to Wikipedia, the "commemoration" of the Baptism of the Lord has been a long time coming in the Roman Catholic tradition. It had to emerge from Christmas and Epiphany, and it still competes for "Sunday time" with the Wedding Feast at Cana. I am personally surprised that it's not given a higher rank -- that of feast or solemnity.
I once told a congregation that the Church had created this holy day since the Second Vatican Council to celebrate the dignity and responsibility of adult Christians, as we had to notice that Jesus was baptized as an adult. Baptism is, despite our custom of baptizing babies, a sacrament better understood by adults. 
My good friend Father Camillus, a historian, went through the roof. "Where did you get that?" he challenged me.
"I made it up!" I said.
Well, I think it's about the dignity and responsibility of adult Christians.
But it's first of all about Jesus and Baptism; and, like all the mysteries of our faith, it is infinitely faceted, with as many interpretations as there are Christians to interpret. As we have set out into the deep of a new year, everyone should bring prayer and reflection to this sacred moment.
When I was in theological studies, nearly fifty years ago, the scripture scholars were fascinated by the apparent controversy about Jesus' being baptized for the forgiveness of sins. Saint Mark said, "Jesus was baptized." Plain and simple. Some time later, Luke admitted he was baptized but immediately diverted our attention to what happened next, "after Jesus and all the people had been baptized." Matthew's Saint John hesitates to baptize the Sinless One but the Lord insists upon it, apparently at the behest of His Father.
So why is the Sinless One baptized? Obviously not for his own sins but for you and me. Entering the waters of baptism we are swallowed up in the same waters that consumed Jesus, waters which include his passion and death and resurrection. As Saint Paul wrote to the Romans:
...are you unaware that we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life.
John offered a baptism but it was only for the forgiveness of sin. As Saint Peter explained to an isolated community of John's disciples several years after the Baptist was executed by Herod Antipas,
"John baptized with a baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, in Jesus."
Saint Luke also tells us that Apollos knew only the Baptism of John until Priscilla and Aquila heard him... took him aside and explained the Way of God to him more accurately.
We can suppose that John the Baptist explained his ritual as washing one clean of sin, guilt and shame -- which makes it something undeniably wonderful. But there is much more to the Baptism the Church offers. Now we are baptized into his death.
... and resurrection.
... and Eternal Life.
The Eucharist completes this dimension of our life as we eat his body and drink his blood. Celebrating the crucifixion of Jesus we celebrate our own sacrificial life. As Saint Paul said to the Galatians:
I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me; insofar as I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who has loved me and given himself up for me.
We have practiced infant baptism since the apostolic days of the Church, when a man with his entire household, including his wife, children and slaves might be initiated into the church. That's a fine custom but it should not overshadow the meaning of the rite; baptism is not about babies. (Nor slavery, for that matter.)
This Commemoration of the Baptism of the Lord reminds us of the beautiful and extraordinary privilege we have in knowing Jesus deep within our being. If the world has ever eagerly awaited the revelation of the children of God, it must be doing so now, during this critical hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.