Saturday, July 20, 2019

Saturday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time


Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved in whom I delight; I shall place my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles. He will not contend or cry out, nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets.


Saint Matthew places this passage from the Prophet Isaiah in the context of Jesus' healing all the sick, and the conspiracy of the Pharisees. The more good he does, the more they hate him.
And yet, historians tell us, the Pharisees were not really the bad guys in Jerusalem and Judea. The Herodians and Sadducees worked more closely with the Roman oppressors, and profited more by their collaboration. It was they who arranged for Jesus' execution, rather than the less powerful Pharisees. And Zealots supported the terrorists!
The Pharisees were devout Jews; they were desperate to retain God's favor in the face of foreign oppression and exploitation. They believed they must maintain the integrity of their religious traditions at all costs. When the final catastrophe fell, later in the first century of the Christian era, the other Jewish parties disappeared. Only the Pharisees survived. Like some "conservative" religious communities today who wear traditional habits in public and private, their clinging to tradition gave them a strong sense of identity when the more adaptable syncretists lost theirs.
But the Gospels tell us the Pharisees did plot against Jesus. Despite their admirable fidelity to a beautiful tradition, they were driven by fear. Everything they did was calculated to avoid a Roman reaction. If Jesus represented change and aroused controversy, he might cause trouble. He should be neutralized. While powerful interests are looking for an excuse to strangle us we cannot afford to think thoughts of freedom, or to sing songs of joy.
Jesus was a free man. Conscious of God's love and election, he could approach Jerusalem and Calvary with utter abandon. He understood the wrath of his opposition, and how his manner enraged them, but he could not be deterred from healing the sick, feeding the hungry and raising the dead. His Father had sent him to demonstrate God's infinite mercy and that is what he would do. There were many things more important than his life.
Expect nothing good from fear. Frightened people do stupid things and blame others for it. We have better things to do, and a better life to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.