Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Memorial of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, Priest


Lectionary: 403

(Moses) did not know that the skin of his face had become radiant while he conversed with the LORD.


Our first reading from the Book of Exodus describes Moses' radiant face and its effect on his people. If they had regarded him as a powerful, trustworthy leader with only their interest at heart, they now saw a man who stood in God's presence continually. Every time he came out of the Tabernacle Tent he "would tell the children of Israel all that had been commanded."
Despite their love and devotion to the man, some might have wondered. Has he perhaps switched sides in his mediation with God? Is he now more interested in representing God to the people than the people to God?
Anyone with authority in the church -- priest, deacon, catechist, or Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion -- meets that suspicion when they come down off the mountain. Whether the high place was a seminary or weekend workshop, as they reenter the congregation, they will not be asked, "What did you learn? Tell us!"
They will want to convey all that has been commanded; but, more often than not, they will be greeted with, "We've never done it that way."
Eventually they realize, we're not on the same side of the discussion that we used to be. It's a hard lesson to learn.
I sometimes remind my fellow chaplains at the hospital, "There is always an altar between you and the people, even if your Christian denomination never gathers around the altar. If you ever see me stepping around that altar to be just ordinary folks, like everybody else, don't walk. Run!"
The Christian minister cannot put on a veil as Moses did. We have authority, we must respect it.
But, we still belong among the people. Saint Augustine told his congregation,
“Where I’m terrified by what I am for you, I am given comfort by what I am with you. For you I am a bishop, with you, after all, I am a Christian. The first is the name of an office undertaken, the second a name of grace; that one means danger, this one salvation.
If we are tempted by power and authority, we must study and contemplate the example of Jesus. He certainly represented his Father, but he was put to death not for representing the Eminence of God but for representing God's humility. They despised the man who would not defend himself. They hated the man who speaks for them before God.
...when Christ came as high priest of the good things that have come to be, passing through the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made by hands, that is, not belonging to this creation, he entered once for all into the sanctuary, not with the blood of goats and calves but with his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption.
In the VA hospital people often ask me to pray for them, and very often they have specific concerns. I might not agree with their politics or their causes. Some might beg for the patient to live who is clearly dying. I am tempted to instruct them about what they should be asking. Something more realistic; something more graceful.
But I pray for what they want. I wasn't sent to represent God to them; I should represent them to God, just as My Lord does for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.