Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Tuesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time



Seeing that he was a goodly child, she hid him for three months.
When she could hide him no longer, she took a papyrus basket,
daubed it with bitumen and pitch,
and putting the child in it,
placed it among the reeds on the river bank.


Alone one night in the friary, I took a call from the police department. "Father, can you come and baptize a baby?" 
Sensing something very unusual, I immediately agreed. "Where should I go?" I asked.
"Just step outside."
There at the back door was a police car with the trunk open. In the dark I could barely see a shoe box and the form of a dead infant. I baptized the child "conditionally," for the sake of the mother and her parents. The police offered little explanation. A girl had a baby and hid the baby in her closet. The baby died. There was no point in prosecuting the child. What good would come of that? I'm sure the police told the family the baby had been baptized. No one ever contacted me about it. 
These things happen more often than most of us know. There are as many reasons for abandoned babies as there are incidents like that. The Book of Exodus tells us about Moses and the vicious pharaoh who would destroy every Hebrew infant boy. We are tragically familiar with children separated from their parents at the Mexico/Texas border. Their relatives in the United States, fearing arrest and deportation, dare not intervene.  Given the incompetence of the federal government,  some of these children may never find their true families and might be adopted by generous persons, in the Spirit of Pharaoh's daughter.  
"Baby drop boxes" are now being installed in hospitals and fire stations around the United States. The boxes have a series of alarms to notify responsible parties when the gate has been opened, when a bundle has been placed inside, and when the box is closed. Because trained persons are close by at all hours of the day and night, the infant can be examined immediately and preparations made for adoption. "No shame; no blame; no name." Should the infant's parents or family want to reclaim the child they have the option, and will receive supportive help. 
Anyone can suppose this should never happen. When I saw a presentation about the baby drop box I covered my shock with some silly remarks. And then I realized how necessary and good this project is. 
The Infant Jesus came to a world where babies are sometimes abandoned. He gave his life for the infants, their mothers and fathers, and for the societies which generate these tragedies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.