Monday, July 22, 2019

Feast of Saint Mary Magdalene

Lectionary: 603

She thought it was the gardener and said to him, "Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, and I will take him."
Jesus said to her, "Mary!" 

She turned and said to him in Hebrew,
"Rabbouni," which means Teacher.



I met a fellow in the VA hospital several years ago who admired the Christian religion for the personal affection we feel for Jesus. We feel great satisfaction as God's chosen people, in the privilege of saying, "We are his people, and he is our God!" We take even greater pleasure as we hide in the secret clefts of his Sacred Heart. 
Our knowledge of God is not simply a public relationship. It surpasses the sense of belonging we might feel in a crowd or audience. It's great fun to join a mobbed football stadium and cheer for the home team. Attending a political rally and hearing the very ideas and philosophy we espouse is empowering; leaving that space we feel confident that this politician and our movement will conquer the world! Surely God is with us! 
A church service should have at least that much impact, especially as we attend week after week and year after year. The practice of faith shapes our imagination and, after many years, we dream the dreams of our coreligionists. 
But Mary Magdalene and Mary the Mother of God remind us that our faith must surpass that of the scribes and pharisees
With these women we feel shattered and brokenhearted on Good Friday. Our grief is inconsolable. We turn away from angels in white who might be sitting within his empty tomb. What use have we for angels when we search for Jesus? Can they stroke our face or kiss our tears? Can they hold us until the sobbing passes? 
We want to know the Crucified Lord who has been raised. With Saint Paul we say, 
For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 
Only then will our hearts be healed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.