Friday, December 13, 2019

Memorial of Saint Lucy, Virgin and Martyr

Lectionary: 185


To what shall I compare this generation? It is like children who sit in marketplaces and call to one another, 'We played the flute for you, but you did not dance, we sang a dirge but you did not mourn.'

We hear during this last month of the year many greetings and wishes for the Christmas Spirit. We might do well to remember that Spirit is God. It is the Substantial Life that Jesus and his Blessed Father enjoy between them; it is the same Spirit they give us. It is generous, joyful, and courageous, braving cold and hardship to bring people together.
I often remind the patients in the VA hospital that the human race would have perished a long time ago if we did not care for one another. Indeed that must be everyone's primary responsibility, to care for someone else; and to care for many others. We are in this together! 
Humans are such frail beings, tottering about on two legs, defying gravity, unlike any other animal. And we are so gullible, ready to believe any nonsense if it sounds remotely plausible. So frightened and vulnerable, ready to kill the suspicious and equally ready to invite the friendly. 
We really need a shepherd to guide us in all our affairs
And that Shepherd is the Holy Spirit, manifest in the Christmas Spirit, and many other subtle, surprising, and delightful ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.