Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Tuesday of the Second Week of Advent


In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father 
that one of these little ones be lost."


In the VA hospital I often remind the Veteran and myself, "I sometimes set out to do something because I want to do it. It seems like a pretty good idea; it might be fun. But then I get distracted and something else comes up and maybe it never gets done. Maybe it wasn't that important in the first place; it was only something I wanted to do.
But if someone I know and love and respect asks me to do something -- and especially if that person has some authority -- I'm going to do my damnedest to make it happen!
So here is Jesus who loves us as one of our own children. He has known us as a child, a cousin, a friend and neighbor. He has admired our courage and appreciated our generosity and enjoyed our company; and he has set out to save us. It's going to happen because he wants to do it!
But more important to him -- his Father has ordered him to save us. Jesus insists upon that, "...it is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost."
And the Lord Jesus loves the Father more than anything else, more than he loves himself! We know that because he was obedient to death, even death on a cross​." So if the Lord did that, dying on the cross in obedience to his Father, you know he's going to take care of some minor business like saving you and me!"
And we know that because we already have the first fruits of the Holy Spirit in us: the joy, gratitude, generosity, and courage that free us to do as Jesus does.
Today's readings from Deutero-Isaiah and the Gospel of Saint Matthew comfort and reassure us as we practice our faith. They are words for the ages; we study them in season and out of season. Our martyrs of centuries past, the present, and centuries to come believe the Lord will not lose even one of his little ones. We hear these Scriptures with their faith, which is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.