Thursday, December 5, 2019

Thursday of the First Week of Advent

Lectionary: 178

Jesus said to his disciples:
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,'
will enter the Kingdom of heaven,
but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.



Jesus warning, "Lord, Lord!" surely reminded his listeners of the Prophet Jeremiah's warning, 
Do not put your trust in these deceptive words: “The temple of the LORD! The temple of the LORD! The temple of the LORD!”
Only if you thoroughly reform your ways and your deeds; if each of you deals justly with your neighbor; if you no longer oppress the alien,the orphan, and the widow; if you no longer shed innocent blood in this place or follow after other gods to your own harm, only then will I let you continue to dwell in this place, in the land I gave your ancestors long ago and forever.
As Thanksgiving is behind us and the countdown to Christmas has begun, we'll be asked periodically, "Have you got the "Christmas Spirit yet?" It may be one of those temple-of-the-Lord things, a way of assuring oneself that "God loves me unconditionally! and I've got the Spirit to prove it!" 
We have begun a new liturgical year and at the beginning of this year the Lord invites us to look at the foundation of our lives. Is it rock or sand? Am I good because I feel good or because I do good? Am I faithful because I haven't committed any serious sins lately, or because I begin each day by asking the Spirit of God to guide me? Do I celebrate Christmas because I am so glad the Lord God of Heaven and Earth is willing to be born in poverty, in a violent, racist society? He will grow up in a neighborhood I dare not visit. 
Jesus's remark about "Lord, Lord" is a simple statement. Not everyone will be saved. Though the promise is wide open and the invitation is universal, some haven't the time and can't be bothered, and don't want to hear about it. 
Today, let's stop, be bothered, and listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.